Sunday, January 30, 2011

What's For Dinner


What is it about the New Year that kicks everybody into high-gear? While it was simple for me to get my priorities straight (at least for now), it was surprisingly a little more complicated to get my dogs living their best 2011!

Healthy, Affordable Food

I’m mostly talking about their diet. It seems to be what everybody is talking about these days: organic, raw, home-cooked, filler-free, the list goes on and on. I’ve actually been steaming vegetables for the past year to help my Pitty keep her girlish figure (post two ACL tears). I am committed to the cause, but wanted to step up the kibble, if you know what I mean. With all of the great choices, I was seriously overwhelmed. Is the most expensive really the best? How can you go wrong with middle-of-the-road? Raw food and two large dogs, I knew it wouldn’t fly. I wanted quality, affordable, simple food.

When In Doubt, Ask The Experts

Retailers, like Pussy and Pooch in Long Beach, are quick to recognize the confusion. They have launched an annual Pet Wellness Campaign, bringing in experts in nutrition and health. My Pet Naturally in LA, is also leading the way with great information on their website. It’s actually not that difficult to get quality information and quality food for your pets.

Ask the experts at your local retailers or vet. Plus, some great sites are putting together great content. Big box stores are carrying higher quality foods, but it seems the strongest opinions are coming from reps pushing their own products. You can certainly do your own research.

We all love making our pooch's day with a special treat or two. I like the colorful blog Phetched.com for their reviews on the latest treats and food. Dogster.com also gives a super-thorough review of four-legged foods.

Share Your Ideas

If you have a great nutrition tip, or nutrition website, spill it!


0 comments:

Post a Comment